Red Devils slay Dragons with big win

Red Devils slay Dragons with big win

by | May 26, 2017

The Salford Red Devils recorded their sixth consecutive win with a 50-12 dismantling of Catalans Dragons at the The Salford Stadium.

Following on from the Magic Weekend win against Leigh Centurions, the Red Devils were after another win to keep the pressure on the top of the table Castleford Tigers.

James Hasson made his debut for Salford, and Weller Hauraki made his first start of the season as Ian Watson named a strong side for the visit of the French team.

A perfectly observed minutes silence preceded the game in memory of the Victims of the attacks in Manchester on Monday night.

With Remy Casty sent to the sin-bin in the third minute, Salford soon took advantage, with Gareth O’Brien throwing a sharp dummy and diving over to score.

Just minutes later, Salford doubled their lead, with Josh Jones muscling his way over the try line on the left hand side.

Salford were well on top and quickly go their third try. Fittingly, number 22 Kris Welham went over in the 22nd minute, as the Salford fans led a minutes applause in memory of the victims.

The points kept coming for Salford, and it was Niall Evalds who was next to add his name to the score sheet. Jones did well on the left and side and found Evalds in space who raced over to score.

The Red Devils found time for one more try before half time, with some super handling skills enabling them to make quick yards, and Ryan Lannon finishing off a superb team move to make the score 28-0 at the break.

The second half started off in a similar vain, with Kriss Brining fighting off several defenders to score under the posts just minutes in.

Catalans did eventually get on the score sheet through Vicent Duport, but this was quickly cancelled out by a try of the season contender from Rob Lui.

As Catalns looked to make it back to back scores Lui gathered up the ball from a Dragons cross field kick, and raced 90 metres to score in the corner.

Olsi Krasniqi was the next to get his name on the scoresheet, showing sheer determination to force his way through the Catalans defence and touch down.

The lead was extended even further soon after. Ben Murdoch-Masila was stopped just short after making a superb 50 metre line break, but Mark Flanagan finished cooly after selling several Catalans players a dummy.

The Dragons did manage to get another try before the full time whistle, but it was to be Salford’s night.

Full time: Salford Red Devils 50 Catalans Dragons 12.

Salford Red Devils: O’Brien, Johnson, Welham, Jones, Evalds, Lui, Dobson, Tasi, Tomkins, Hasson, Hauraki, Murdoch-Masila, Krasniqi, Flanagan, Kopczak, Brining, Lannon

Sign up to the official newsletter