Red Devils Go Joint Top Of Super League With Magic Win

Red Devils Go Joint Top Of Super League With Magic Win

by | May 21, 2017

Salford overcame a stubborn Leigh Centurions side in a high scoring affair at the Dacia Magic Weekend in Newcastle to move up to 2nd in the table.

Tries from Ben Murdoch-Masila, Greg Johnson, Kris Welham and Niall Evalds were enough to get the Red Devils over the line in a game which was blighted by Centurions red card for a high tackle.

The Red Devils came into the game on the back of a Challenge Cup win over Hull KR the week before, and were looking to record their 5th consecutive win for the second time this season.

Salford were boosted by the return of Full-Back Gareth O’Brien to the starting lineup, and Mark Flanagan returned to the side having passed a concussion test earlier in the week.

The Red Devils made a slow start to the game and soon found themselves behind with Leigh taking advantage of a penalty to score the first try through Matty Fleming.

Salford soon hit back however, with Michael Dobson’s kick taking a deflection and Ben Murdoch-Masila gathering to score.

The momentum took another swing not long after and Leigh restored their advantage with Mitch Brown crossing over from close range to score for the Leythers.

That try seemed to galvanise the Red Devils in response, and following a Michael Dobson penalty goal, the scores were levelled when Murdoch-Masila forcing his way over for his second try.

The Red Devils were now controlling the game and they quickly took the lead for the first time, a quick move from left to right released Kris Welham who slipped through the Leigh defence to score.

With Salford now well on top, Greg Johnson scored the pick of the first half tries, superb hands from the Red Devils saw the ball quickly moved out to the wing, and Johnson stepped inside to cross in the corner.

With Dobson and O’Brien giving a good account of the goal kicking, the Red Devils now held a 24-12 lead.

Leigh came back into the game in the latter part of the second half, but despite having a number of repeat sets on the Salford line, the goal line defence from Ian Watson’s side was up to the challenge and Salford held the Leythers at bay until half time.

Salford enjoyed plenty of field position in the early stages of the second half, but it would be that struck first after the break, Ben Crooks breaking through the line to get over on the right hand side.

In a key moment in the game, Leigh found themselves reduced to 12 men, as a shocking late and high tackle from Adam Higson saw the winger shown a red card.

Salford took full advantage of the extra man just minute after, with Niall Evalds racing over on the left hand side to score, and push the Red Devils back to a 12 point lead.

Leigh didn’t allow the Red Devils to run away with things however and were soon back within touching distance with Matty Dawson scoring on the right hand side.

The Red Devils had the ball back almost instantly however courtesy of a huge Craig Kopczak tackle forcing a knock on, and Greg Johnson was put away into space on the right hand side to score his second of the match.

A Michael Dobson penalty put the game beyond all doubt and Salford played out the last 10 minutes to move up to second in the table.

Full time: Salford Red Devils 36 Leigh Centurions 22

Salford Red Devils: O’Brien, Evalds, Sa’u, Welham, Johnson, Lui, Dobson, Tasi, Tomkins, Kopczak, Murdoch-Masila, Jones, Krasniqi, Brining, Lannon, Hauraki, Flanagan.

Sign up to the official newsletter