by | Oct 4, 2019

Salford Red Devils booked their place in the Betfred Super League Grand Final for the first time ever, with a stunning 28-4 victory over Wigan Warriors at the DW Stadium.
The club will now face St Helens at Old Trafford, as Ian Watson’s men continue their record-breaking season with the chance to lift their first ever Super League title.
Salford met Wigan two weeks ago in the first round of the play-offs. It was the Warriors who came out on top that night, winning 18-12, however the Red Devils got their revenge tonight.
It didn’t take long for Krisnan Inu to score the first points of the game. The winger scored a penalty from an impressive 40-metres to give the Red Devils the lead in the third minute.
Salford continued to pile on the early pressure and five minutes after his first, Inu scored his second goal of the evening to put his side four-points ahead.
Ian Watson’s side continued to dominate and were rewarded when Tyrone McCarthy found Gil Dudson, who crashed underneath the sticks, giving Salford a 10-0 lead.
The hosts began to grow into the game following their tough start, as they created a couple of opportunities, but the Salford defence was excellent, keeping Wigan scoreless.
Jake Bibby came so close to extending Salford’s lead twice. Both times he was found by Jackson Hastings but was stopped by a determined Wigan defence on both occasions.
Just before the half-time klaxon went, Inu bagged another two-points following a penalty, giving Salford a 12-0 lead at the break.
Half-time: Wigan Warriors 0-12 Salford Red Devils
Joey Lussick got his side off to a flying start to the second-half. He battled his way through the Wigan defence and over the line to score and give Salford an 18-point lead.
Adrian Lam’s side really needed a try if they were to come back into the game. But once again Salford defended brilliantly and forced Oliver Gildart into touch as he came close to scoring.
The Red Devils put the game beyond any doubt in the 62nd minute when Dudson’s offload found Lee Mossop, who rode the challenge from the Wigan defence to get over the line and score Salford’s third try of the night.
Bevan French was able to score a consolation for Wigan as he collected a kick over the top, but there was no way back for the Warriors, with Salford seeing out a dominant 28-4 victory.
Salford Red Devils will now take part in their first ever Grand Final as they face St Helens. Ticket information for title-deciding fixture at Old Trafford can be found HERE.
Full-time: Wigan Warriors 4-28 Salford Red Devils
Salford tries: Dudson (13’), Lussick (44’), Mossop (62’)
Salford goals: Inu (8/8)
Wigan tries: French (72’)
Wigan goals: Hardaker (0/1)
Salford Red Devils: Evalds, Sio, Welham, Bibby, Inu, Lolohea, Hastings, Mossop, Tomkins, Dudson, Jones, Griffin, McCarthy, Lussick, Flanagan, Walker, Burke.
Wigan Warriors: Hardaker, Marshall, Hankinson, Gildart, Burgess, Williams, Leuluai, Flower, Powell, Partington, Isa, Farrell, O’Loughlin, Clubb, Byrne, Smithies, French.
Attendance: 9,858
Referee: Ben Thaler
Image credit: Steve McCormick

Find us on twitter

Find us on Instagram

Sign up to the official newsletter