by | Jun 16, 2019

A hat-trick from Niall Evalds helped Salford Red Devils put on a show against Wakefield Trinity at the Lowry Takeover.
Evalds reached 101 senior career tries with the haul and Jake Bibby bagged a brace as Salford secured an important two points at the The Salford Stadium.
Salford got off to a flying start, scoring in the opening five minutes. Robert Lui’s fantastic cut-out pass found Jake Bibby on the wing for the first try of the match.
Wakefield hit-back as Jones-Bishop knocked a high kick loose and Miller seized the opportunity by collecting the astray ball and scoring for the visitors. Danny Brough added the extras to give Trinity a 6-4 lead 21 minutes in.
Their lead was soon gone though. It all started with Jackson Hastings, who broke through the opposition frontline to put the Red Devils 20-metres from the try line. Lui kicked the ball into the air, which was brilliantly gathered by Niall Evalds who put the hosts ahead.
Minutes later and Salford scored again. Bibby once again was found on the right wing, this time Evalds had turned provider as Salford took a 14-6 lead.

Just before half-time Ian Watson saw his team score once more. This time is was Joey Lussick who made an immediate impact after coming off the bench, darting over the line right underneath the sticks.
Half-time: Salford Red Devils 20-6 Wakefield Trinity.
Wakefield started the second half strong and were rewarded when Miller found Jones-Bishop with a long-range pass, allowing the winger to score in the left corner.
Just like in the first-half, Salford responded to conceding brilliantly. Lui’s low kick proved to be troublesome for the Trinity defence and he was able to gather himself to re-establish Salford’s lead.
Salford looked the most likely to score again, however 56 minutes in Trinity claimed a try out of nowhere. A low drilled kick was chased down by Miller on the back of an awkward bounce.
It really was a back and forth tie, and this was proven once again when Hastings’ grubber-kick was collected by Kris Welham who was able to easily score and extend Salford’s lead.
With ten minutes Ben Jones-Bishop was found on the left-wing, this time by Ryan Hampshire. The winger cut inside to score and give the visitors hope.
Five minutes later and Lui was the provider once again for the hosts. He found Evalds, who was able to cut inside and score the 100th try of his senior career.
It didn’t take him long to get his 101st either, in the next set Hastings broke through the Trinity defence and fed Evalds the ball for Salford’s eighth try of the match and his hat-trick.
Salford will look to carry their momentum forward into Friday’s Super League match against Castleford Tigers. Tickets for the match are available here HERE.
Full-time: Salford Red Devils 44-20 Wakefield Trinity.

Salford tries: Bibby (5, 28), Evalds (25, 73, 76), Lussick (37), Lui (49), Welham (63)
Salford goals: Inu (6/9)
Wakefield tries: Miller (20, 56), Jones-Bishop (44, 69)
Wakefield goals: Brough (2/4)
Salford Red Devils: Evalds, Bibby, Inu, Welham, Olpherts, Lui, Hastings, Mossop, Tomkins, Dudson, Jones, Griffin, McCarthy, Burke, Nakubuwai, Flanagan, Lussick.
Wakefield Trinity: Hampshire, Kershaw, Lyne, Croft, Jones-Bishop, Miller, Brough, Kopczak, Wood, England, Kirmond, Pauli, Crowther, Tanginoa, Hirst, King, Randell.
Referee: Marcus Griffiths

Find us on twitter

Find us on Instagram

Sign up to the official newsletter