by | Feb 25, 2024

A Nene Macdonald-inspired Salford Red Devils recorded their first win of 2024 this afternoon.

Back home after a narrow Round 1 defeat, Paul Rowley’s side were determined to get their first Betfred Super League points of the season, against Castleford Tigers.

Joe Shorrocks for the injured Ollie Partington was the only change, with Chris Atkin and Ryan Brierley reaching significant personal landmarks.

The Red Devils started on the front foot and Marc Sneyd’s boot was straight into action, pinning the Tigers into their own in-goal on multiple occasions.

Pressure upon pressure finally told when Sneyd slipped in Sam Stone on the left edge with a beautifully-timed short pass.

It was two in quick succession with another solid set down the middle of Cas’ line. Brad Singleton drove forward and flicked an offload to Amir Bourouh, who scampered over for his first in Salford colours.

Momentum swung with a couple of repeat sets for the visitors.

Innes Senior was denied a try by some great scramble defence, but Sam Wood was sent through minutes later by Miller to cut the deficit.

A missed Danny Richardson conversion kept Salford in the lead on the half-hour mark, after Cas worked the hands and sent Jack Broadbent diving over in the right corner.

Salford were slowly getting back into their groove and a nice chase from Shorrocks forced a repeat set – and we crucially took advantage.

Sneyd’s high bomb on the last was charged down from almost halfway by Macdonald, who leapt high into the air and over the challenging Hooley to score.

A crucial try, at a crucial point in the game – with Sneyd adding the extras.

Coming out for the second-half with a healthy lead, the pivots were straight back to work and Cade Cust almost sent Kallum Watkins barraging through a gap with a neat short ball.

It wasn’t long until Sneyd had another say in this contest, sending through a pinpoint grubber for the chasing Stone to ground his second of the contest.

It looked like the Red Devils might run away with proceedings, but Joe Westerman cut the lead when he spotted a gap and scampered over to the left of the posts.

Salford were made to work even harder when Jack Ormondroyd was sent to the sin-bin, but it highlighted the ever-growing importance of Sneyd’s kicking, who sank a penalty-goal from the 40 to allow some breathing room.

It was certainly needed, with Liam Horne spinning away from his man to cut the lead to just four, late on.

Despite some frantic closing exchanges, Salford held on for a crucial two points and will be looking to build on that when Hull KR visit the Salford Community Stadium next Saturday.


Salford line-up: Ryan Brierley, Chris Hankinson, Nene Macdonald, Tim Lafai, Deon Cross, Cade Cust, Marc Sneyd, Jack Ormondroyd, Amir Bourouh, Brad Singleton, Kallum Watkins, Sam Stone, Joe Shorrocks.

Interchanges: King Vuniyayawa, Shane Wright, Ben Hellewell, Chris Atkin.

Tries: Sam Stone (2), Amir Bourouh, Nene Macdonald.

Conversions: Marc Sneyd (5/5)

Castleford line-up: Luke Hooley, Jason Qareqare, Jack Broadbent, Sam Wood, Innes Senior, Danny Richardson, Jacob Miller, George Lawler, Liam Horne, Nixon Putt, Elie El-Zakhem, Charbel Tasipale, Joe Westerman.

Interchanges: Rowan Milnes, Sam Hall, Muizz Mustapha, Sammy Kilbula.

Tries: Sam Wood, Jack Broadbent, Joe Westerman, Liam Horne.

Conversions: Danny Richardson (1/2), Luke Hooley (2/2)

HT: Salford Red Devils 18-10 Castleford Tigers

Photo credit: Steve McCormick & James Giblin

Sign up to the official newsletter