by | Jun 21, 2019

Salford Red Devils climbed into the play-off positions with a second successive victory at the The Salford Stadium.
Tries from Niall Evalds, Lee Mossop, Jackson Hastings and Derrel Olpherts were enough to secure a crucial two points over Castleford Tigers.
Following a quiet start, Salford looked to have broken the deadlock in the 17th minute when Josh Jones battled through the Castleford defence and over the line, only to be held up by the visitors’ defence.
In the next set Ian Watson’s men did score though. A clever offload from Robert Lui found Krisnan Inu, who’s low kick was well collected by Evalds as the ball bounced past into the in-goal.
Three minutes later and the Red Devils scored again. Hastings took the ball to the line and found Mossop in the centre of the pitch. The prop forced his way through a gap in the Tigers defensive line to score the second try.
Castleford responded with a try of their own. Daniel Smith was able to latch onto a grubber-kick from Paul McShane to put his within a single score.
Just like on Sunday against Wakefield, Salford responded brilliantly. Hastings had a strong first-half and was able to round it off with a try. He rode the tackle of three Castleford defenders and crashed over the line.
Towards the end of the half Daryl Powell’s team looked strong and were rewarded when Greg Minikin was able to score in the right corner following a Salford knock-on.
Inu hit the post from a penalty as the half-time hooter went and seconds later Salford looked to score, Castleford’s Jordan Rankin was able to intercept a loose pass and run half the length of the pitch to score for the visitors.
Half-time: Salford Red Devils 18-16 Castleford Tigers
After the break, a tight 20 minutes followed. Until a darting run through the centre of the pitch by Joey Lussick put Salford less than 30-metres from the Tigers’ line.
In the following set, Hastings combined with Kris Welham down the right flank, getting the ball to Olpherts for Salford’s fourth try of the night. Inu added a vital conversion to put the Red Devils eight points ahead.
The Tigers tried to force their way back into the game, but Ian Watson will be delighted with how his men defended in the final 20 minutes. Inu finished the tie off with a late penalty to put the final score at 26-14.
It was a crucial two points for the Red Devils, with the victory putting them above tonight’s opponents in the Betfred Super League table and into the play-off positions.
Salford will look to make it three wins in a row when they travel to the DW Stadium to face Wigan Warriors next Friday. Tickets information available HERE.
Full-time: Salford Red Devils 26-16 Castleford Tigers.
Salford tries: Evalds (19’), Mossop (22’), Hastings (29’), Olpherts (61’)
Salford goals: Inu (5/5)
Castleford tries: Smith (25’), Minikin (36’), Rankin (40’)
Castleford goals: Mata’utia-Leifi (2/3)
Salford Red Devils: Evalds, Bibby, Inu, Welham, Olpherts, Lui, Hastings, Mossop, Tomkins, Dudson, Jones, Lannon, McCarthy, Walker, Burke, Flanagan, Lussick.
Castleford Tigers: Mata’utia-Leifi, Clare, Minikin, Blair, Egodo, Trueman, Rankin, Watts, McShane, Smith, Sene-Lefao, McMeeken, Massey, Millington, Milner, Moors, Cook.
Referee: Scott Mikalauskas.
Attendance: 2929
Man of the match: Gil Dudson

Find us on twitter

Find us on Instagram

Sign up to the official newsletter