by | Aug 29, 2019

Salford Red Devils claimed a sixth consecutive Super League win for the first time ever, with a 22-6 victory over Warrington Wolves at the The Salford Stadium.
A hat-trick from Ken Sio and a try from Jake Bibby were more than enough for Ian Watson’s men, as they moved into joint-second place in the Betfred Super League table.
Salford went into this tie top of the form table, whilst Warrington sat bottom of it, despite their higher standing in the league and winning the Coral Challenge Cup last weekend. However, it was a quiet first-half on the pitch in the opening period.
The only points of the first-half came when Warrington’s defensive line was caught offside ten-metres from their own line. Krisnan Inu decided to take the two-points to give the hosts an early advantage.
Both sides went searching for the opening try, but the two teams struggles to maintain possession and sustain pressure, although the rhythm of the game was still flowing well as Salford went in at the break with a narrow lead.
Half-time: Salford Red Devils 2-0 Warrington Wolves
Ian Watson’s side came out for the second-half flying, Niall Evalds came ever so close to scoring, the fullback’s dummy pass opened a gap in the Wire defence, but he was stopped just inches from scoring.
Their persistence was rewarded in the 49th minute. Tui Lolohea’s high-kick was fumbled by the Warrington defence and Ken Sio was there to collect the loose ball and score the first try of the evening.
More problems arose for Steve Price’s men. This time it was Jackson Hastings that was causing the problems, his kick was knocked-on and gave Salford possession metres from the line.
In the following set The Red Devils moved the ball to the right flank and Kris Welham was able to offload to Sio, who scored his second of the evening.
Salford immediately punished The Wire with another try. Joey Lussick went on a brilliant run, as he battled his way through the Warrington defence. He found Hastings, who passed to Jake Bibby in plenty of space to extend the hosts lead.

Sio completed his hat-trick moments later. The winger scooped a loose ball in his own half and none of the the Wolves defenders could keep up with him as he ran 70-metres and scored.
Warrington managed to claim a consolation when Danny Walker collected his own kick and scored to put the final score at 22-6.
Salford Red Devils could secure their place in this season’s play-offs when they travel to the Emerald Headingley Stadium to take on Leeds Rhinos in the Betfred Super League. Find ticket information HERE.
Full-time: Salford Red Devils 22-6 Warrington Wolves
Salford tries: Sio (49’, 57’, 62’), Bibby (59’)
Salford goals: Inu (3/5)
Warrington tries: Walker (79’)
Warrington goals: Ratchford (1/1)
Salford Red Devils: Evalds, Sio, Welham, Bibby, Inu, Lolohea, Hastings, Mossop, Tomkins, Dudson, Jones, McCarthy, Burke, Lussick, Johnson, Walker, Flanagan.
Warrington Wolves: Ratchford, Lineham, Goodwin, Burrell, Mamo, Hughes, Smith, Philbin, Walker, Tasi, Livett, Murdoch-Masila, J Clark, D Clark, Akauola, Westwood, Johnson.
Attendance: 4,879
Referee: Chris Kendall
Image credit: Steve McCormick

Find us on twitter

Find us on Instagram

Sign up to the official newsletter