by | Aug 26, 2021

Salford Red Devils were beaten 14-42 from league leaders Catalans Dragons tonight – a scoreline that arguably did not reflect the valiant effort put in by Marshall’s men.

The French took the lead after 10 minutes, Benjamin Jullien sliding over to the left of the sticks after the Dragons found a gap in the Salford defence.

Seven minutes later, Salford went agonisingly close to responding with a try of their own, but Rhys Williams’ pass to Dan Sarginson fell just behind him, with our number 23 set for a walk-in in the left corner.

Jullien picked up his second try of the evening in the 27th minute, collecting a dropped ball down the middle and running half the field to ground the ball to the left of the sticks once more.

Two minutes later, Mickael Goudemand powered over for the league leaders, this time the French going through down the right.

In the 37th minute, Salford were on the scoreboard and it was Harvey Livett who slid over down the left after some quick hands from a number of Salford players stretched the Dragons’ defence.

This try was cancelled out right before the halftime hooter, however, as Sam Kasiano powered over and gave James Maloney a simple conversion directly in front of the sticks.

Halftime: Salford Red Devils 6-22 Catalans Dragons

The Reds came out revitalised in the second forty and scored the first try of the half in the 43rd minute. Chris Atkin sent a neat grubber kick down the left that was booted further forward for Dan Sarginson to dive on to the left of the sticks.

Three minutes later, Catalans’ Michael Mcilorum saw yellow for a dangerous tackle.

Salford thought they had scored another just five minutes after Sarg had gone over, but Morgan Escare’s try in the right corner was ruled out for obstruction, Krisnan Inu the apparent culprit according to referee Liam Moore.

Maloney extended the visitors’ lead in the 50th minute with a penalty conversion, received for a high tackle in front of Salford’s sticks.

Tom Davies wormed over in the right corner in the 57th minute and ten minutes later, Sam Tomkins was first to a high ball and was therefore able to feed Joe Chan who dived over in the left corner.

With nine minutes to go, Man of the Match Escare did see a try stand, as he went over in the right corner.

As the final hooter approached, Salford went over again via Chris Atkin, but play was brought back by Liam Moore for offside.

Just before the game finished, Samisoni Langi crashed over down the left to add to Catalans points tally.

Fulltime: Salford Red Devils 14-42 Catalans Dragons

Salford Red Devils: Escare, Sio, Inu, Sarginson, Williams, Lolohea, Atkin, Ormondroyd, Ackers, Johnson, Livett, Lannon, Burke, Luckley, Roberts, Robson, Addy.

Salford tries: Livett, Sarginson, Escare

Salford goals: Inu (1/3)

Catalans Dragons: Tomkins, Davies, Langi, Laguerre, Yaha, Maloney, Drinkwater, Dezaria, Mcilorum, Bousquet, Jullien, McMeeken, Goudemand, Mourgue, Cozza, Chan, Kasiano.

Catalans tries: Jullien (2), Goudemand, Kasiano, Davies, Tomkins, Langi.

Catalans goals: Maloney (7/8)

Referee: Liam Moore

Image credit: Steve McCormick

Sign up to the official newsletter