by | Oct 13, 2020

A ten-point haul from Ed Chamberlain was not enough prevent Salford Red Devils being edged out in the final minute of their Betfred Super League match against Hull Kingston Rovers.
The Red Devils came from behind four times to level the scoring, but Rovers did just enough to overcome a Red Devils side missing key players, ahead of the Coral Challenge Cup Final this weekend.
Ian Watson’s men had chances to make it six wins on the bounce in all competitions, with Connor Jones and Olly Ashall-Bott both claiming their first tries for the Club.
Mikey Lewis opened the scoring in the 17th minute after Kane Linnett broke the Salford line and fed him the ball to slide over to the left of the sticks.
Salford responded in the 24th minute, with Chris Atkin setting up Jones to stroll over after some quality passing down the line from the Red Devils.
Four minutes from the break it was Linnett causing problems for Salford again. This time he teed up Ben Crooks down the left wing, to put Rovers back in front.
Halftime: Hull Kingston Rovers 12-6 Salford Red Devils
Watson’s men started the second forty better than they did the first, levelling the score again in the 45th minute thanks to some neat footwork from Luke Yates, who got the better of a handful of Rovers players to slide in under the sticks.
Just after the hour mark, Rovers went ahead again. They were awarded a penalty try after Lewis was pushed away from getting onto the end of a Jordan Abdull grubber-kick by Ashall-Bott.
But Salford’s number 34 made up for his mistake four minutes later, skipping through the Rovers defence and grounding the ball to score his first Salford try in style.
It took only two minutes for Hull to go back in front however. This time it was Abdull who went over down the right.

Five minutes from time, Ashall-Bott sent a looping pass out wide to Chamberlain, who dived spectacularly to ground the ball and even it out once again.
The match looked set for golden point, but it was a high tackle from Pauli-Pauli on Matt Parcell in the 79th minute that decided the game. Jamie Ellis kicked between the posts to secure his side the win.
Salford supporters can hear the post-match thoughts of head coach Ian Watson HERE on RDTV.
Fulltime: Hull Kingston Rovers 24-22 Salford Red Devils
Hull KR: Lewis, Crooks, Linnett, Abdull, Kenny-Dowall, Ellis, Brierley, Mulhern, Minchella, W. Maher, Hauraki, Hadley, Garbutt, Parcell, Lawler, Trout, Gee.
Salford Red Devils: Ashall-Bott, Chamberlain, C. Jones, Kear, L. Roberts, Gilmore, Atkin, Ikahihifo, Ackers, O. Roberts, Lannon, McCarthy, Burke, Aspey, Yates, Inu, Pauli.
Hull KR tries:ย Lewis (2), Crooks, Abdull
Hull KR goals: Ellis (4/5)
Salford tries: Jones, Yates, Ashall-Bott, Chamberlain
Salford goals: Chamberlain (3/4)
Referee: James Child
Image Credit: Steve McCormick

Find us on twitter

Find us on Instagram

Sign up to the official newsletter