by | May 3, 2024

Salford Red Devils survived a late fightback from Huddersfield Giants to claim a seventh Betfred Super League victory of the season.

Paul Rowley welcomed back prop, Brad Singleton from a two-month injury, with Sam Stone the only other change to the starting 13, in place of Shane Wright.

The Giants began the contest on the front foot and were certainly winning the territory battle. Tui Lolohea was the first to try his luck with a grubber kick, but his effort was far too strong for any Giants player to capitalise.

A knock-on from Ethan Ryan allowed the hosts another full set on the Salford line, but a moment of genius from Nene Macdonald broke the game wide open.

Jake Connor attempted a cut-out pass on the left edge, but Macdonald intercepted and raced almost 80 metres to open the scoring.

A few minutes later, from a scrum, some nice feet from Marc Sneyd and even better hands from Kallum Watkins sent Macdonald rampaging through the Giants line again.

This time he had Ryan in support to collect an offload and race away towards the jubilant Salford faithful behind the sticks.

Ian Watson’s side were stunned, but almost found a route back into the contest via Harry Rushton. His hard carry broke the Salford line, but Ryan Brierley was on-hand to get under the ball and stop the grounding.

Sneyd was starting to pull the strings and forced a couple of drop-outs with his grubber kicks, which were skidding awkwardly along the surface.

From one of the restarts, some nice shape sent Brierley racing through a gap, but the referee blew his whistle and penalised Sam Stone for obstruction.

Just minutes later, Brierley was sent to to sin-bin for a high shot on Esan Marsters.

The start of the second forty was an important period for Salford with a man down, but a big play from Tim Lafai regained possession 30 out from our own line.

Sneyd was the architect of a lovely break down the centre, with Cade Cust also involved and Ryan almost sent racing under the sticks.

Salford kept the pressure on and Macdonald was able to crash over for his second of the night. Sneyd added the extras to extend the lead to 0-18.

A few errors from the restart gifted the Giants a six-again, but young winger, Elliot Wallis dropped a golden opportunity just as the hosts created an overlap.

After a scuffle involving a few players near the touchline, Wallis put his head on Lafai and was shown a red card.

It was actually when down a man where Huddersfield found the most joy.

Gaining territory, looking for a route back into the game, a Giants attacker trying to latch onto a chipped kick was blocked by Chris Atkin.

The halfback was the latest to be shown a yellow card by Tom Grant.

A break on the left side allowed Adam Swift to open the Giants’ account for the evening, with another effort from Lolohea making the scoreline a little tense.

It was even tighter when Jake Bibby went over with 60 seconds to play, but the Red Devils held on for a third consecutive victory, and one which moves them currently joint-top.


Salford line-up: Ryan Brierley, Ethan Ryan, Nene Macdonald, Tim Lafai, Deon Cross, Chris Atkin, Marc Sneyd, Jack Ormondroyd, Joe Mellor, Brad Singleton, Kallum Watkins, Sam Stone, Oliver Partington.

Interchanges: Cade Cust, Joe Shorrocks, Gil Dudson, Shane Wright.

Tries: Nene Macdonald (2), Ethan Ryan.

Conversions: Marc Sneyd (3/3)

Huddersfield Giants line-up: Jake Connor, Adam Swift, Esan Marsters, Kevin Naiqama, Elliot Wallis, Tui Lolohea, Adam Clune, Olly Wilson, Adam Milner, Joe Greenwood, Harry Rushtown, Sam Halsall, Luke Yates

Interchanges: Ashton Golding, Matty English, Seb Ikahihifo, Jake Bibby, Hugo Salabio.

Tries: Adam Swift, Tui Lolohea, Jake Bibby.

Conversions: Jake Connor (2/3)

HT: 0-12

Sign up to the official newsletter